Friday, October 15, 2010

Oct. 7th 2010

2:27 PM
Today was crazy.We got back from the gas chamber, about an hr ago. We have been showering and cleaning since we got back. I'll go into detail about that later. This morning we had a group ability run. We ran 3 miles to increase our endurance. It was Hell. The temp was 50 degrees, and we were freezing1 They pushed us hard so that we could make good time! After we did 2 and one half miles, I started throwing up water. Over half of us had to fall out. Someone collapsed and we had to perform a Man Down Operation. It turned out to be one of my good friends, Pembleton, from the GED Plus. Me and 3 other people were trying to get a response but he was unresponsive. The drill sgt checked his pulse and he had none! They called the ambulance and told us to keep running. He died twice. Last we heard he had pulled thru. It was chaos! Those of us from Little Rock were pretty upset. After PT we all hopped on a bus to the gas chamber. It was a good 15 mins away. I got to see more of the Base. When we arrived I wasnt too nervous. They briefed us and said this was to build confidence in us, for our equipment....But thats a lie. It was just to make us more miserable! The chamber was out in the middle of the woods. after briefing we lined up with our gas masks, helmets and weapon on. I was the first group to go in. I was also at the very front. I would be the first person out. We all piled into this chamber and even with my mask on I could taste the CS gas. It burnt the back of my throat. I was nervous, but surprisingly one of the most calm ones in there. They filled the room with CS gas. We were instructed to perform a series of tasks before we could leave. We put our weapon between our legs, put our helmet on top of the gun and break the seal on our masks. When we break the seal we get our first little taste of the gas. I had to say my last name and rank. My eyes started to water and my nose began to run. I quickly sealed my mask and cleared it. after that we had to do the final task. Take the mask of, put the helmet on, put the mask in my left hand, and weapon in my right. We couldnt exit until everyone had done the test correctly. I took my mask off, took a breath and froze. Tears started pouring, snot was running from my nose and I was coughing and drooling. All I heard was coughing, crying and puking! I realized what I needed to do and I did everything perfect, but I still had to wait on everyone else. My mind zoned out and my conscience was telling me "you're okay, you will not die"! I couldnt breathe, I couldnt open my eyes. When I did it burned. My skin burned and my throat was on fire. I actually thought I was going to suffocate! It was carzy. Finally, they gave us the okay to go. I ran thru the first doors and ran straight into the next 2 doors! It wasnt opening!! I started freaking out!...Then I realized there was a doorknob ..LOL...After I ran outside, I tried to open my eyes but the sun hurt. I almost ran into my Sr drill instructor! He said, "Open your eyes! Turn Fonville, turn!!" That first gasp of fresh air was amazing1 They got it all on video. You guys will see it on family day. It was pretty funny. But it sucked. Im glad I didnt freak out too bad like most of the other guys.I'll never go near that gas again.....Im gonna head down stairs. I'll update more later, tomorrow. I love you all and I will see most of you soon1
DS Quote;
DS Lilly; "at least you guys aren as dumb as all those other morons!"
Us; (laughing) Hooah!!
DS Reidel; "Oh shut up! You guys are still Morons..You're just the smartest Morons!"

No comments:

Post a Comment